Friday, August 13, 2010

8/13/2010

Hey Mel, funny you should mention that. I searched the forum yesterday and I couldn’t find information about rendering the fat using a conventional oven and what temperature to use. My first instinct was to place the fat in the oven at 250 and let it slow cook until it looked right. So that’s what I did. After about 30 minutes of surfing the internet for more insight I came upon a YouTube video on “how to render beef fat.” The guy on the video used an oven and set it at 350. So I went to the oven and changed it. I don’t remember any bad taste and this morning it looked solid white.

Did I goof? This is all new to me. I have never made pemmican. I do want to try it one day, but I still need more time to figure out exactly how I want to approach it. I think I will use the oil in the same manner as you, to supplement the fat in my steaks for now. I might make a mini experiment on pemmican later on with some of the tallow.


(ZC)ers Goofing Around


Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT IN THE MOST RECENT POST SO YOUR COMMENT IS NOT MISSED.

This site is dedicated to the Zero Carb Way of Eating. This is a peaceful community of like minded folks. Please do not use this blog as a platform to voice your opinions against our beliefs or promote non-related subjects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...