Sunday, March 27, 2011

3/27/2011 - Daily Update - Wounded Warrior

My Spirits are just OK today. I was really hyped about the Dallas Meat Up. I spent time and money in prep for the trip. I purchased a new "Fitted Shirt". I purchased a new pair of really nice "Flat Front Dress Slacks". I took the slacks to a tailor to have them hemmed so that they would not be too bunched up at the legs.

Most of all I did not get to meet some really special folks at the Meat Up. There were some really nice folks that went who have posted some really nice things on my Forum Journal at Zeroing In On Health. I may never get the chance to ever meet them again and tell them "Thank You" in person. I also did not get the chance to meet up with my friend before the Meat Up.This really saddens my HEART big time.

I feel so STUPID. Why? Well we do not have all day do we? So instead of listing the endless reasons I will get to the point. I use my cell phones GPS for directions when traveling out of town. It worked great when I went to the San Antonio Meat Up. The problem with my phone's GPS is that the screen for me is a little too small and I have to wear my reading glasses. Well as I was going to input the address of my friend that I was going to visit and the restaurant I could not find my glasses. It was getting a bit late and I wanted to program the GPS before going to sleep. I was planning to leave no later than 7:00 am so that I could get there around noon or so. Anyway I ended up going to CVS and purchased a pair of reading glasses for $28.00. I thought they were a little expensive, but they were good quality. I only need the lowest power (1.00). They make a world of difference. So when I got home I needed to take the tag off. Well these glasses did not have that thin plastic tag. Oh no, they had a thick locking ripcord type of tag. So did Dave grab the scissors and cut them off. NO! He grabbed a Steak Knife. I held the tag with my forefinger and thumb. STUPIDLY pointed the knife in the downward position. I had to apply a lot of force because of the thickness of the cord. I ended up nicking the side of my thumb and the knife went straight down the saddle between the thumb and forefinger. It took me by surprise. I did not feel anything at first.  Then boom the pain shoot all the way to the elbow.

I ran like a little kid to my wife, who is a health professional and she treated the wound. I have advanced first aid training, but I can't come close to matching my Dear Wife. I told her my symptoms and she recommended going to the Minor Emergency Clinic. At first I did not want to go. Then about an hour later I gave in and went. After the exam the Doctor told me how lucky I was that I did not do any major damage. He said that the cut could have crippled the use of my hand if it varied just a little. How Stupid did I feel? Need you ask? One of the ironies is that I used to teach Safety Training.

At the end of the day I was in a hurry to get things done and ignored simple safety precautions that would have saved the day. Foolish Behavior or should I say FOOLISH STUPID BEHAVIOR.

I will stop taking the pain killers today and see how I feel. I can tolerate a lot of pain and in the past I have refused pain killers and bared the pain. The last time I did that I laid in the ER for around six hours with excruciating pain. I gave in, took the meds and the pain was gone in a short time. As strong as I am or want to be, I have my limits.

I will be honest and tell you that I was almost in tears. Not for the pain in my hand, but the Pain in my Heart. The whole trip down the drain for...............




Dave

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my, what a very sad story. I am really feeling sorry for you right now. I'd love to see a photo of you in your new clothes! That might help to cheer you up.
    Take care,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave

    Hope you're feeling better !

    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon, Thank you. I appreciate your empathy. Yes, that is a good idea. I would like to take a pic with my new clothes. When? I don't know, but not too far in the future. I tell you what: Folks like you cheer me up and that is more than enough. Keep On Keeping On my friend.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gaby, I am better. Thank you. I can't wait to see you in April. Teri is ready t rock and roll. Battle On Gaby!!!

    (ZC)ers Friends and Family

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT IN THE MOST RECENT POST SO YOUR COMMENT IS NOT MISSED.

This site is dedicated to the Zero Carb Way of Eating. This is a peaceful community of like minded folks. Please do not use this blog as a platform to voice your opinions against our beliefs or promote non-related subjects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...