Friday, July 15, 2011

7/14/2011 - Update - Dave's(ZC) Grand Canyon Adventure Days 5 - 8

Greetings Friends. My Spirits and Energy levels are great.

So on with the trip. Next two days were very interesting and a lot of fun.

Day 5


Yes you guessed it again: another glorious day........because......... now all together now "Slept in late" YES!!!! Hey sleeping in late is a pure luxury for me. I wake up Monday thru Friday at 4:30 AM. So Waking up at 9:00 AM is really late. So we went to the breakfast buffet and dived in. I had a couple of heaping plates of Scrambled Eggs and Bacon. They were fresh and good. One problem. The resort was packed to the tilt. I mean crowded. That means crowded lines at the buffet and folks going the wrong way in the line. The Bacon and Eggs were at the end so I skipped to the front. A lady entered the line on the wrong end and almost knocked the full plate out of my hands and had the nerve to look at me like it was my fault. I said "Oh well that what happens when you enter on the wrong side" well she mumbled a "curse word" and moved on (in the wrong direction). I will give her a little room considering she was from a foreign country and may not be used to this form of eating. No worries. I just wanted to get my breakfast on. HA!!

Bacon and Eggs (stock photo)


After breakfast we started on our way for the third time to the Grand Canyon. We had planned to park the car at one of the many parking lots at the central location near the train depot and finish exploring the central area, then start our "Rim Hike" to Hermits Rest.





This route took us left of the central area and the complete opposite of the "Desert View". It was rather hot and I had a backpack full of bottle water and cans of sparkling water. Look at the map above. We made it all the way to The Abyss. Mind you that we went back to the central area just where that "Blue dot" is located and did the central area of the rim for about one hour, then doubled back to start Hermits Rest. Total time in the blue section two hours. Anyhow we started our trek and it was all up hill. I mean all. We stopped at all the points on the map to take pictures and small breaks. We also drank plenty of water. I rather enjoyed the sparking water. Go Figure. At the Abyss we agreed to take the next shuttle to the very end of the route. This gave us some sit down time on cushioned seats in an air conditioned environment. Man o man did that feel good. It was late afternoon and it was hotter than a Texas Tamale lol.

Hermits Rout point of interest

So we got off the Bus and looked around Hermits Rest and chilled out until the next bus came along to take us back the the starting point. I tell you what. It was nice to ride the bus all the way back to the starting point. It was a good rest and comfortable. Hey I'm old and need TLC HA!!! So we took the blue shuttle which is mainly used to go to all the parking lots, lodges and the central visitors staging area where all the shuttles meet. We then took the Orange shuttle for a short ride to another point of interest. By then I was ready to go. We look at some of the restaurants in the central area after we returned form our last tour. (DW) could not find something that interested her taste buds so I suggested to go back to town and look for a restaurant. As we approached the entrance to the town (DW) pointed at one of the first restaurants on the strip and said "Lets eat there". Oh Boy the name of the place was "We Cook Pizza and Pasta". I looked at her and said "SURE". I kept tell myself: "There is Always a Way, Always" over and over as I drove up to the place. Like I said before: This is (DW) vacation too and if she has a craving for pizza. So be it.

Proof (HA!)

Well lady luck was on my side and they offered "Naked Wings" without the flour or sauce. No marinades. Just a little salt and pepper. Yes, yes indeed. So I chowed down on these delectable morsels of meat. They were oh so good and crispy. So we both left fully satisfied. We then chilled in our room taking it easy and resting. The next day would be our final day. We had originally planned to watch the Sunrise, but (DW) had some pity on me and said we could sleep in late. I had a six hundred plus mile drive ahead the next day. So what did Dave do? 

Day 6

I will tell you what Dave did. He got his butt up early and took his (DW) to watch the Sunrise at the Grand Canyon. While her offer seemed nice,but I knew she really was looking forward to that moment. We picked a good spot to watch the Sunrise: Mather's Point. Near the Central part of the Rim. There was plenty of parking and it was a short walk in the cool morning to the viewing area. 

Sunrise at the Grand Canyon Mather's Point

After that unforgettable moment we headed back and packed up. We then proceeded to the hotel restaurant for another go at the breakfast buffet. It was basically a repeat of the morning before. Plenty of Bacon and Eggs. We then checked out and started on our way to Clovis, New Mexico. This place was just for a nights rest. In retrospect I should have picked Roswell New Mexico. I am a SciFi fan and it would have been a hoot. It was too late to find a hotel. I wish I would have paid more attention to the route. Jeez! On the road again. We reached our destination around 8:00 PM because of a late start and I had a hard time finding the hotel. We had a late diner at Applebees. I had a very nice 12oz Rib eye. The hotel was new and very comfortable. End of day six.

Now days seven and eight were not really eventful so I have decided to leave them out. Here is a short description:

 Day Seven 

We ate a nice Breakfast at the hotel. I had an all meat Omelet. We made it to Fredericksburg around 5:00 PM. Checked in to our hotel and ate at a small German restaurant. I had the sausage sampler plate. It was good and did not appear to have fillers in the sausage. Most real "good quality" Texas sausage don't have fillers. Just meat and spices. Like Chapel Hill Brand. We walked around, but being Sunday most places were closed. We decided just to go and leave early the next day instead of spending it there. I think we were both tired.

Day Eight

We slept in and then went to the hotel lobby were (DW) chowed down on her continental breakfast. This place did not have a restaurant and only offered pastries  oatmeal, muffins and such. I was not hungry and chilled while she ate. Our plan was to go to Driftwood, Texas to the "Salt Lick" BBQ restaurant to chow down a nice lunch. Well after about an hour drive we showed up to find the place closed. I guess they did not open because of it was the 4th of July. Go Figure. Now that was a disappointment: BIG TIME! So I found a Burger King and ate a couple of large meat patties. We finally made it home around 2:00 PM.

So ends Dave's (ZC) Grand Canyon Adventure. I hope you liked it. 

Have a Great (ZC) Day my Friends and Zero Carb Family. Keep the Faith and Always Battle On!!!

(ZC)er The Things You Do for Love

Cheers,

Dave

12 comments:

  1. The things we do for love. You must be in love to go to We cook pasta and pizza. You are brave Dave lol. I hope you dw appreciates your effort to make this a carefree vacation for her. **Marcus**

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the heart shaped burgers dave. a very nice vacation. i know you dw must have appreciated all your efforts to make things smooth for her. -Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. One nice thing about travelling in America: finding quite easily a 12 ounces ribeye. But as I see, the "naked wings" and the "meat pattie"s seemed also decent!!!

    Maybe there is not "Always a Way, Always". Maybe there is "Always MANY Ways, Always MANY"

    Pro(ZC)ac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way pro(zc)ac puts it. Many is a good way to describe it. Some people just don't do what it takes to get things done. Dave is an inspiration with the ways he goes about to ensure he stays ZC without an excuse. Many people out there would blame the circumstances of being on a vacation to screw up their woe and justify it. Dave always stays true. Bravo!!!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG we cook pizza and pasta, but you survived. GREAT! You are so caring about your dw. Thanks for sharing.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. you had a very nice vacation with your dw.it was well planned and it seems you made the best of the time you had. loved all the pictures you shared with us. ~Maryzc~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marcus, thanks for stopping by. Yes, (DW) does indeed appreciate that I don't make a fuss as to where we eat. I always tell her "I can always find something." Most of the time it is not too hard. You just have to be creative. Right down my alley HA!

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Simon, actually we appreciate each other. Hey that makes things much more easy. I liked the burger pics too.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pro(ZC)ac, many ways INDEED! If folks just try they can just about find what they need to stay (ZC) without a big deal. Effort, effort and more effort. Actually it is almost effortless lol!

    Thanks for stopping by my friend. It is always appreciated. I look forwards to your comments.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Bill, wow thanks for the great compliments. I can't fail Bill. I won't fail Bill. I just can't afford too. I don't know if I could bounce back. So I am a (ZC)er for life.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sara, all I can say is "Bring It ON!!" HA! Yes, (DW) wife knows and appreciates all my efforts towards her.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maryzc and thanks. We really had an oh so great time. Things went pretty smooth. I did kinda plan this trip with less time than I would have like too. Yet thing ran pretty smooth.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT IN THE MOST RECENT POST SO YOUR COMMENT IS NOT MISSED.

This site is dedicated to the Zero Carb Way of Eating. This is a peaceful community of like minded folks. Please do not use this blog as a platform to voice your opinions against our beliefs or promote non-related subjects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...