Saturday, September 3, 2011

9/3/2011 - Another Response to Pro(ZC)ac: Ribs Indeed

Greetings All. My Spirits and Energy are good.

Pro(ZC)ac, my (ZC) Brother in Arms those ribs sounded Great! Where the Ribs Pork, Beef or some other type?

 BTW thanks for the talking points.

It also reminded me of a dish that I made so long, , long ago. It was at a time that I was going to college and I was a very poor (financially) student. I would hound the sales ads for specials. My Godsend at the time were Chicken Leg Quarters. I could find them on sale from 9 cents to 18 cents a pound. Yes I know the stories of these hormone infested .......... Oh well back to the story: My best friend and I were in the same boat financially. He also was in search of cheap eats. So we would both look for specials, buddy up and shop. We hook up at one apartment or the other to cook. 

By a stroke of luck I accidentally created an Oh So Great recipe. If I remember right:

1 ten pound bag of Chicken leg quarters trimmed slightly
2 cloves of fresh Garlic
1/2 medium yellow onion chopped small
2 T of any kind of oil
2 or 3 T of powdered Cayenne Pepper


That's it. Now for the real trick: This is the key I think to why this recipe was SSSSOOO AWESOME! Jeez Dave what is the Key? Yes that would be helpful to say the least.

KEY  =  Drum roll: I used a very large carbon steel WOK. 

I don't remember if I have told this story before or not so I will tell it anyway. It is part of the directions on how to cook this dish.

THE STORY by Yours Truly (Dave):

Way back when I was a poor college student trying to make ends meet, my best friend and I went grocery shopping and scored a ten pound bag of Chicken leg quarters. We went to his apartment to cook. He showed me a very large bottle of powdered cayenne pepper that someone gave him. These are those large containers that are for sale at Sam's Club. So I took the garlic and onions and chopped them up fine. I then heat the wok and added the oil. I had decided to make this chicken sorta Asian style like a stir fry type thing. Anyway I threw in the garlic and onions in the hot oil ........... yes I said HOT OIL. Why is this important? Because the next step will be burned into my mind til Kingdom Come. So brilliantly (?) I thought "Hmmmm why not throw in some cayenne pepper?) So I did. The result? Well it was like being pepper sprayed. I mean I threw in the 2 or 3 table spoons all at once. Jeez!!! It hit the oil and we hit the door. We were chocking and coughing. Our noses were running and tears galore. I held my breath and ran back in to throw the Chicken leg quarters in to help squash the fumes and cover it and ran back out. I then ran back in to lower the heat. Yes I then ran back out lol!!! We had the windows up and the door open anyway because it was a nice cool day. So it did not take too long to clear out the fumes. We went back in and I opened the lid to find that the chicken had released a ton of juices and fat. So I stirred it up a little and let it to continue to cook. How long? My guess about 1+ 1/2 hours. The end result? Well to our surprise the juices, fat and spices made a thick brown gravy. OMG it was sssooo delish I mean AWESOME. 

It was all by accident. I was able to recreate this dish many times. So what did I do different so that I would not have to run out of the house? Well I simply sprinkled the cayenne pepper on the chicken instead of directly into the oil. That simple, that good. 

One side note: My friends older brother who lived down the block did not believe this story. You know about the fumes. So around the third time we decided to make this dish we invited his brother over to eat. Well we heated the oil and added the onions and garlic. This time my friend and I waited by the door while his brother stood next to the hot wok with cayenne pepper in hand. We gave him the nod and he threw the cayenne pepper into the hot oil. Well he almost knocked us over as he ran for the door HA!!!

Thanks Pro(ZC)ac, you brought back some real found memories. Not being a poor student, but the antics of a couple of young college students trying to make it on their own. We had a lot of good times back in the day.

I hope everyone enjoyed this little trip back in my past. I know I did. All of this because of a Rib recipe. Imagine that.

Have a Great (ZC) Day my Friends and Zero Carb Family. This is Who I Am, this is Where I Stand!!!

(ZC) Tell the Tale

Cheers,

Dave

8 comments:

  1. dave what a great story. i am a college student but i have the advantage of living at home and the support of my family. i really enjoyed your little adventure and appreciate your struggle. thanks as always for sharing your life with us. more people appreciate it than you know. i wish more would come out and let you know how much they appreciate the time and effort you give us all. at this point you seem to have things under control and only post to share with others that are struggling with this woe.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story Dave, thanks for sharing. It brought back memories of my college days. It was a struggle sometimes. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were beef ribs... Pork ribs are also a gerat treat but I am in a phase where I feel that beef is better for me...???!!!

    Yes, these years in college when we began, as young adults, taking "in charge" our meals, away from home, are great souvenirs. I hope the new generation have access to ZC knowledge and will not loose all the years we lost eating all kinds of crap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara is right. More people appreciate this blog than you know. I know that I don't comment much, but I always read what you have to say. It keeps me going strong with zc. Thank you and please keep sharing and giving your down home wisdom. There is a nice number of us that comment and not who appreciate your effort. I know at this point you can just sail through zc and not post another story to share with us if you chose to. Many thanks Dave.-Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara, it was an interesting story at an interesting time period in my life. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to live at home at that stage in my life. Keep on track.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane I feel your pain. I thank God that at the end of the day all turned out well for me. Thanks for stopping by.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pro(ZC)ac, yes indeed what times they were. I agree that Beef Ribs rule. I love spicy food and need to try some curry with the Beef Ribs. I pray that today's kids in college stay away from the junk, but I think pizza is too addictive for most. Thanks for all your input my (ZC) ally and Battle On!!!

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Taylor, thanks for your oh so nice comments. I will keep doing my best to share for as long as I can. Sail thru (ZC)? Well not exactly. I focus day by day and don't take things for granted. I have my Shield up high and my Spear at the ready. You just don't know what is around the corner. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Keep the Faith!!!

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT IN THE MOST RECENT POST SO YOUR COMMENT IS NOT MISSED.

This site is dedicated to the Zero Carb Way of Eating. This is a peaceful community of like minded folks. Please do not use this blog as a platform to voice your opinions against our beliefs or promote non-related subjects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...