Thursday, October 20, 2011

10/20/2011 - Weekly Update - The Fat Renaissance

Greetings All,

I came across some really great information and thought I would share it. So without further ado:

"Most vegetarians will argue with you that most mammals eat a vegetarian diet and fare fairly well. They will tell you that gorillas can lift 10 times their weighton a diet composed almost entirely of plants while even the strongest among us can only lift 3 times their weight. What they haven’t figured out though is that the gorilla’s anatomy is much different than ours and also that gorillas, like all other mammals, really eat a high fat diet.



You see, the reason why gorillas and herbivores have such big guts is that that use it to ferment fiber and cellulose to produce short-chain fatty acids. Therefore, even though herbivores eat a diet high in carbohydrate from plant matter, these carbohydrates get fermented in their gut by bacteria to produce fatty acids. This is why the natural diet of mammals is a high-fat diet. They have very specialized guts, often have more than one stomach and have to eat almost continuously for this complex fermentation system to work.



If you start feeding gorillas a high fruit diet instead of their normal diet of shoots and leaves, they’ll get the same blood sugar problems we get and can even develop diabetes. High blood sugar isn’t only dangerous for us.

Factory farmed cattle gets fed a diet of corn and soy instead of their natural diet of fermentable grasses. This bad diet makes them fat and sick, just like us eating a high carbohydrate diet."

I thought it was a really good explanation of the importance of fat in our diets. It was a first for me to understand how gorillas convert fiber and cellulose into short chained fatty acids. Interesting indeed.


I have tentative plans to go to the Texas Renaissance Festival this Saturday.  My best bet for some protein is the Greek area where they have an assortment of grilled meats. Other areas also have a few varieties of grilled meats. I believe it will be mostly chicken and sausage. Hopefully I can find some real Texas sausage that does not have any fillers. 


Well I just went to their site and found the following (ZC) friendly foods:


Steak on a Stick (looks a little dry)

Pork Souvlaki


Turkey Leg

Chicken Souvlaki



I did not search the whole site, but the listed food is way more than I need. So Dave will not go hungry to say the least. Do I go for the food? No! I love the shows. Lots of music and entertainment. That is why I go. For the price I could eat lunch at the Brazilian almost for a week. 


Have a Great (ZC) Day my Friends and Zero Carb Family. Fight the Good Fight and Battle On!!!


(ZC) Renaissance




Cheers,


Dave

12 comments:

  1. wow the food looks so good! i did not know about the gorillas either. you learn something new everyday. have fun at the ren fest.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at the Renaissance festival. I just love to go and see all the costumes and hear the music.~Maryzc~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eat a good high protein breakfast before you go to the festival. I know you will have fun. Take some pictures.-Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohh smoked turkey legs are great. I do have to admit I just used to love funnel cakes. I still love the way they smell as they fry them, but now I just smile and eat another turkey leg lol. :-)Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Texas has the largest Renaissance festival in the world. I really like to attend these fairs and the one near you is absolutely the best. I have attended it a few times in the past and plan to go again in the future. Have a great time. Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see that David has been doing serious reading... great!!! Well clearly, ZC is not based on ignorance but, contrarely as many think, it is based on serious scientific, anthropologic and medical knowledge.

    Or we fight ignorance, or we get manipulated and will suffer. There is were the real war lies!!!!!!!

    To be.

    Pro(ZC)ac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sara,yes the food was not bad, but I have a little twist to report on the next update.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maryzc, right? That is half the fun. I just love music.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane, I agree a good breakfast before going would be the prime thing to do. Pictures, well we will see. HA!

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cat, jeez lets not talk about funnel cakes lol!
    I could walk around like king Henry with my turkey leg hahaha!!!!

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joshua, yes Texas has the biggest and I assume best Renaissance festival in the world. I can only assume because it is the only one I have been to.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pro(ZC)ac, yes we must educate ourselves in order to keep on top of what we believe in. It is easy to get side tracked when all the pieces are scattered. I an truly trying to be more informed on the subject. Battle On!!!

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT IN THE MOST RECENT POST SO YOUR COMMENT IS NOT MISSED.

This site is dedicated to the Zero Carb Way of Eating. This is a peaceful community of like minded folks. Please do not use this blog as a platform to voice your opinions against our beliefs or promote non-related subjects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...