Sunday, February 17, 2013

"JUST LOOKING AT SWEETS" IS NOT THAT BAD...


I am just posting for fun today as I think playing and laughing are as important as oxygen in life. But since I tend to be over-serious by moment (…) there will be a message for you in this post…

I will go against the mainstream idea that “being near, looking at, thinking of, call it whatever you want, being WITH sweets is a bad idea” if you want to get your carb cravings under control.

Let me explain. There is a technique called “behavior therapy” which, as you can guess by the name, has for purpose to change the way you react to a situation. It is not always an easy method but, well applied, you can learn to stop smoking, cut adding sugar to your coffee or quit any bad habit. It is like reprogramming your reactions to the “cues” that initiate the habit you want to stop.

Knowing the “cues” is the first thing to look for. Usually, they are related to senses such as a smell, the sight of the wanted object, the sound of a place and even the company of friends with who you like to indulge. For a smoker or a drinker, entering a noisy bar can create the perfect cues to consume. For a sugar addict, it can be picking up a plate at an all-u-can eat dessert buffet. Cues are numerous and can be very personal, from experiences in infancy to sad or joyful events of life.

If one suggests to carb addict “staying away from sweets as the best way for not eating sweets”, most folks would think it is logical and full of common sense. But studies show it is NOT that true. Real ZC’s will tell you they keep sugar in their house, even cookies and candies ‘for the guests”, and they are not scare of these items because they have overcome the “fear of relapse”.

To apply the “behavior technique” to control cravings for sweets, you have to expose yourselves to these sweets (the cues), enjoy there aromas and look, do whatever you need to stimulate an irresistible need for them, then BANG, you move away from them. It is not an easy thing to do, I agree. But repeating this, even if there are relapses, will rewire your brain so next time you encounters your cues, the craving reaction should go down and eventually disappear.

The best test to know if your have overcome your carb problem on ZC would be to cook yourself some sweets, measuring, mixing sugar, flower and other ingredients without reacting a bit to the situation. Then you can enjoy the sight of your guests “killing” themselves while they congratulate your cooking skills.

And you take a photo and post it so we can all have a good laugh together!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denis






























8 comments:

  1. denis i need some of your oxygen lol. i have sweets in my home for guests. i like the way dave describes our way of eating in the sense of politics or religion. we don't have to push our ideas on others if they are not open, but we can still respect and enjoy the company of others that are different. dave often describes his cooking as an art. i like that. i too like to cook and bake all kinds of food. i am never tempted to eat any sweet treats i make. btw that is an beautiful cake. i wish we could post pictures, but this comment box is limited to text. thanks for the information.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've said it all Sara!!!!! I am so happy we have the same line of thought so we can all work together in harmony. Yes, the cake is quite beautiful but I do not miss a bit having a bite……

      Denis

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you Denis. I have it embedded that zc is a lifelong way of eating for me. I don't have trouble with having sweets in my house or making them for parties or get togethers. ~Maryzc~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody said (???) that once one have done the ZC lifestyle for more then 6 months, he will never want to go back to a "regular WOE"…. i think we cannot say this about a low-fat, low-cal or even a LC diet…!!!

      Denis

      Delete
  3. I hope you had a great weekend. Some people that do zero carb are terrified even to look at a picture of a cake let alone have in their house. I remember a few holiday seasons ago Dave got into it with a couple of members at a forum about some pictures he posted of the holiday meal he prepared. One member over their went ballistic on him. It was not his fault that person has some mental condition that triggers when in the sight of carbs. I can only imagine that person does not watch TV, read magazines or browse the internet. I also can guess that person does not attend any family functions that have food other than meat.

    It is so refreshing to comment without the fear being attacked. Yes I bake and like Dave consider it to be an art. I mostly love the decorating part of making cakes and cookies. I have won a few local competitions. -Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have made my day Jane: a ZC'r winning a cakes and cookies decorating competition… this is to funny!!!!

      I am happy you remember "the event" that happened to Dave; I think he won a lot of sympathy from this; and I do recall he did manage quite well the situation; this blog is not a concincidence….

      Denis

      Delete
  4. Great info Denis, one that I totally agree with you. To be a (ZC)er you have to get over carbs totally. You have to put your mind at ease. You have to be confident in your chosen way of eating (WOE). Until then you will continue to suffer when exposed to carbs rather in person or other means. I see the picture of the cake and can appreciate the "ART" in it. That is how I see it with "MY EYES". No more, no less. I am not going to "freak out" and accuse you of some "BS", when that was not your intention. Hey I have been a victim of that and let me tell you it was not pretty. I felt like I was kicked in the face by someone I considered part of my (ZC) Family.

    Hey but that was then and this is now. I will simply put it "Mind Over Matter". Excuse my crudeness, but that is the way I see it. Thank goodness for those like you that have a good working knowledge and can put it to "Music".

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are the living proof that ZC is much more then eating meat + water.

      It offers us a level of "emotional detachment" which gives us the opportunity to move on, even in difficult moments of life.

      Somewhere, somehow, we should begin to talk about "THE ART OF ZERO CARB" rather then the short ZC designation.

      We are on the road that will bring us to the place we have to go!!!

      Denis

      Delete

PLEASE COMMENT IN THE MOST RECENT POST SO YOUR COMMENT IS NOT MISSED.

This site is dedicated to the Zero Carb Way of Eating. This is a peaceful community of like minded folks. Please do not use this blog as a platform to voice your opinions against our beliefs or promote non-related subjects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...