Tuesday, February 19, 2013

LET'S TALK ABOUT SALT ON ZERO CARB

As Zero Carbers, salt can be, and actually is, of great interest as most of our food items are much more enjoyable with a little salt. A salty chocolate cake in the “high carb world” is a nonsense but a nice dash of salt on a rib-eye, which is a daily reality on ZC, certainly push up the flavor and make a meal a real delight. But should we be concern?


Salt is addictive. Researchers have confirmed is triggers the same pathways in the brain as does cigarettes and hard drug. And just like alcoholics, it takes just a pinch of salt (or a sip of wine in the other case) and one can be back into the need for salty food.


So is salt a problem on ZC? The answer is: it depends. It depends if you are seriously addicted and it depends if it encourage you to eat more food then your real need.


So one can be “hook” on salt but if his weight is under control, I think the problem is minor. But if this is not your case, you probably have to consider seriously this issue.


As for the nutritious value of salt, I am not really sure it is that important on a ZC diet, as the absorption of minerals is nearly 100% on a meat-only WOE. This is different on a diet rich in fibers, which seriously prevents absorption of sodium and chlorine but also the microelements like the magnesium, calcium and potassium contained in sea salt.


As for the medical reasons to stop eating salt, there is a big confusion nowadays in the medical literature. There is certainly one type of “salt-dependent high blood pressure” but it needs a precise diagnosis before cutting salt in a diet for health reason.


My own experience is simple: I always adored salt but decided to stop using it to see if I could cut down on my food intake. It works. It is no the “entire answer” to the problem but it certainly helps. Now, I do not care for salt but if I do have some on occasion in a restaurant, I surely enjoy every bit of it!!!



Denis




8 comments:

  1. very informative information. i am not big on salt either. i like herbs. i did not grow up using salt and i hope to stay that way.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it right Sara: go herbs!!! Inetrestingly, many herbs are known to help in addiction treatment. I have no idea of the science behind this... but even if I like oregano or rosemary, I never have cravings for them…

      Denis

      Delete
  2. I use salt in moderation. I can't stand salty foods. Like Sara I enjoy a variety of herbs especially fresh ones. If I grill steaks on wood or coal then I really don't need salt at all. The wood gives it a lot of flavor. I do add a pinch of non salted dry spices. Thanks for the post. It was really nice with lots of good information. -Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Jane: a pinch of NON SALTED dry spices makes a long way. And you make a point here saying that you take care of selecting the brand with NO salt as we can easily get tricked here.

      By the way, I just recently discovered they are now adding SUGAR to regular "table salt" one may buy in any supermarket… and of course, you probably get in any salt shaker in a restaurant as it is the cheapest thing on the market. It is under the name of "dextrose" which is pure glucose…

      Denis

      Delete
  3. Hi Denis, I never really used salt to cook in the past. After I got married I started to use a little. I do keep it to a minimum and also use herbs (mostly dry) on my foods. Thanks for the info.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought you were "into salt"… but happy to know it is not a big issue for you!!!

    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. ****
    Trader Joe's makes a great spice combo called "21 Seasoning Salute" which is salt free. Mix into ground beef of sprinkle on steaks before grilling. My go to spice
    ****

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous**** wow we have a new Trader Joe's in my area. I will get some and let you know. Sorry for the late, late response. I am playing catch up.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT IN THE MOST RECENT POST SO YOUR COMMENT IS NOT MISSED.

This site is dedicated to the Zero Carb Way of Eating. This is a peaceful community of like minded folks. Please do not use this blog as a platform to voice your opinions against our beliefs or promote non-related subjects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...