Tuesday, October 8, 2013

HEAVY CREAM AND ZERO CARB


Today’s post is about a recent experience I had eating heavy cream, a lot of heavy cream…

We know dairy products can be a trap for some folks doing a modified carb diet, and even a larger trap for many of us on Zero Carb. Of course, I was aware about this but, still, I wanted to give it a try even if I had experienced some problems in the past with this pure delicacy.

This experiment began after I recently discovered a source of “organic double heavy cream” and that I decided to give it a try. The product is astonishing, very thick with a divine taste. I began eating it with a small spoon just as others would eat any pudding. It was extremely satisfying and a small quantity would cut any hunger for many hours. Great. Great until…

Until I began slowly allowing my daily quantity of cream to go up. I will immediately say that I did not eat more because I NEEDED to eat more, BUT simply because my weight was NOT going up. I was saying to myself: “What a great surprise! Now I can have a treat with this highly satisfying food item without worrying about the impact on my body”.

These were wonderful days. Imagine: I could dig into these double cream containers with no guilt or worries and, knowing I was indulging into an organic product, this only reinforced my impression of wellness. Until…

Until about after 10 days when I began to felt more thirsty and had to urinate more. I knew these could be symptoms of high blood sugar but I could not believe this could be true. I very rarely control my blood sugar as being on Zero carb diet since more then 3 years, it is always, but always, normal.

But the thirst not going away, I had to proceed. What a shock. My blood sugar was high; not at excessive levels but high enough to be into the “diabetic zone”. I controlled in the morning, I controlled before eating, I controlled 2 hours after meals, and my blood sugar was always high.

My first reaction was to stop immediately indulging in heavy cream. But, still, 24 hours later, my blood would refuse to go lower.

So I sat down and begin to review my eating menu of the last 10 days. What I discovered was astonishing. Because I was eating a lot of this cream, I had eaten less during my 2 daily Zero Carb meals. I thought that eating according to my appetite was “the way to go”.

Then I went on and calculated my daily calories and food macronutrients  composition. The calories were higher from my usual with all that cream but I didn’t care because the weight was stable. But then, I observed my protein intake was lower (but still acceptable), while my fat intake was extremely high, well much higher then my regular diet. Still, I could not understand why this would impact my blood sugar.

Until I calculated my carbohydrates intake…

Yes, I knew heavy cream does contain carbohydrates even if not that much. And double heavy cream contains even less. So where was the problem? Well, when you eat “a lot of heavy cream”, the numbers goes up quite fast. But certainly not enough to explain this increase in blood sugar…

Then the explanation became obvious: as my metabolism in running on fats, and I was eating a lot of fats without gaining weight, I was surely burning a lot of fats. But fats are the source of compounds from which our minimal needs for glucose are met by neoglucogenesis. So each time triglycerides are broken down, 10 % by weight goes to produce glucose. So if one ingest 100 g of fat per day, here comes 10 g of carbohydrates. But I was eating about 300 g of fat per day…, which means 30 g of glucose right there.

I added these 30 g to the carbohydrates coming from the cream and I estimated my daily carb intake was more then 50 g !!! And this did not consider the eventual proteins that could have been transformed into glucose but since I had no way to evaluate this, I did not consider it in my calculations…

So here I was on a Zero Carb diet eating more then 50 g of carbohydrate by day… and having my blood sugar going up. 

What a sad story, yes, very sad story…

But I did some readings because, still, I could not believe that all this fat could have such an impact on my blood sugar.

What I discovered is fat from dairy products have much more impact on our body metabolism then fat from meat origin. "Fats were not equal" and this is another good example. The explanation being fats from dairy comes along with a lot of hormones, especially estrogens and, surely, IGF (insulin growth factor), which has a terrible impact on blood sugar… These are anabolic compounds and this is the last thing our body needs to ingest. I know, milk was created for calves and not to feed human being... And separating the cream from the milk do concentrate the fats, and as the hormones also concentrate in the same fats, my double heavy cream was a time bomb...

So here I am now back on my “all fatty meat diet” with no organic double cream as a treat… very glad I could stop checking my blood sugar all the time… and also very glad I could stop drinking and peeing all the time… as this was the scary part of all this story!!!

I hope I have learned something…

Denis












1 comment:

  1. This is terrible news as I enJoy a daily coffe with heavy cream! Thank you so much for your testimony.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT IN THE MOST RECENT POST SO YOUR COMMENT IS NOT MISSED.

This site is dedicated to the Zero Carb Way of Eating. This is a peaceful community of like minded folks. Please do not use this blog as a platform to voice your opinions against our beliefs or promote non-related subjects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...