Wednesday, January 22, 2014

EGG YOLKS ON A ZERO CARB DIET

Today, I want to share with you all my recent experience with eggs. It seems that, in general agreements on most of modified-carb diets, that eggs are an astonishing food item, as much as economically wise, as handy wise, as nutritionally wise.

Eggs are very flexible: they are available everywhere, they keep well for long periods, they can be prepared many ways, in a few words, they are perfect for folks on a Zero carb diet!!!

But recently, I have been changing a little bit the way I eat my eggs. I always enjoyed them slightly cook (sunny side up) as I do strongly believe overcooking of the yolk creates oxidized fats and cholesterol. And oxidized particles of any kinds are the last things you want circulating around in your body, as they are the types of particles that create inflammation and accumulate easily in your arteries. By the way, there is a new blood test measuring “oxidized LDL-cholesterol” and it is beginning to be used as a marker for cardiac risk. I never had it done myself but I certainly will try to get the test done one day. So I hope you got the message here: the less you cook your eggs, the best it is for your health on a long run…

But let’s go back to the subject of this posting.

As you probably all know, egg yolk and egg white have very different macronutrient composition. But while nearly 99% of the fat + cholesterol (and the calories…) are in the yolk, this do not mean all the proteins are in the white. Interestingly, one normal egg yolk contains 2.7 g protein while the white contains 3.6 g protein. As for the carbs, the yolk has 0.6 g while the white have 0.2 g.

To summarize all this, whites are far from having an ideal nutritious profile while the golden yellow part of the egg seems to be the best gift nature could have given us. I do remember, as a kid, spoonful of egg yolks were given by mothers to their babies as a potent nutrient for the development of their brains. And the babies use to adore it. Of course, when the fat-phobia began in the ‘80s, this practice pratically disappeared…

Recently, I decided to go with “only or mostly yolks” when I have some eggs and the results are interesting. My incentive to do this was I observed when I was eating 2-3 eggs at one sitting, I was feeling hungry fast afterward. But now, when I eat 4 egg yolks, I have a very different reaction: I feel full for a long period.

The other nice things about egg yolks is they have much more flavor then the whites and the color, after cooking, is much more appealing. This is especially noticeable when you mix them with heavy cream or even coconut milk.

The other good thing about having only the yolks is, as we tend to eat a lot of proteins on Zero Carb, discarding the whites is an easy solution to get a better fat to protein ratio.

Finally, AND NOT THE LEAST, as this is THE important thing that differentiates egg yolk form egg whites: all the nutritious content of egg is… in the yolk!!!

Egg white, aside a little bit of magnesium, contains ZERO vitamin. Yolk, on the contrary, has ALL and a lot of Vitamin A, B6, B12 and D, aside being an excellent source of iron and calcium. No wonder after 40 years of eating “egg white omelets”, we have a population with vitamin deficiencies…

As for the content of cholesterol, nowadays, even nutritionists admit it was a mistake to avoid egg yolk as studies have shown it has no effect on blood cholesterol levels. Anyway, only 50% of diet cholesterol is absorbed…

To finish, I would like to mention a report, made a few years ago, about this articulate well-educated 88 years old man that was eating 25 eggs per day and this, for many years in a row. Doctors were so surprise, they decided to test him and were under shock when they got the results: this man had normal cholesterol levels, no sign of heart disease and was FREE from any arteriosclerosis lesions. They also discovered he only absorbed 18% of his diet cholesterol and his liver cholesterol synthesis was significantly diminish, probably as an adaptive process.

So next time you cook some eggs, try to discard some of the whites and push the golden stuff. I now often do “1 whole egg and 3 yolks” as, I must admit to you all, when you cook this ration in a pan, the white do help to keep the yolks together and it is less messy when you move everything into your plate…

Denis










No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT IN THE MOST RECENT POST SO YOUR COMMENT IS NOT MISSED.

This site is dedicated to the Zero Carb Way of Eating. This is a peaceful community of like minded folks. Please do not use this blog as a platform to voice your opinions against our beliefs or promote non-related subjects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...